CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Beginnings

This is my first post and my first day as an official blogger. Break out the champagne!!!! Wow, I'm actually a little nervous about this, not to mention excited. Ok then, well let's get started. Of course, I must start off by mentioning what I am currently reading .....drum roll please...."Breath, Eyes, Memory" by Edwidge Danticat. Pretty good read so far, it is actually one of the few books I have read this year that is borrowed and not owned.

Yesterday, during a bout of depression, I broke my new year resolution to not purchase any more gardening books, at least not until summer, by ordering not just one but three books on tropical plants from Amazon.com. Sure they were all under $15 but still.....I have no will power. I currently own two books devoted to the subject, "Plants for Tropical Landscapes - A Gardener' s Guide" and "Paradise Found: Growing Tropicals in your Own Back Yard." Both are pretty good in their own way, the latter is full of simply gorgeous photos of tropical plants, it also offers some suggestions on design. The former provides a more comprehensive list and breaks them up into sections, such as, ground cover, small shrubs, large shrubs, palms, etc.

Here is a photo of one of the books I ordered yesterday....now tell me how am I supposed to resist not buying it with cover photo as rediculously sumptous as this....Anyway that's my official excuse, the cover was too irresistable.
You must be saying to yourself, for her to be sucked into buying a gardening book based almost solely on the cover design, she must be new at gardening, well to that I will say, "yes, you are correct" I am new at it, however I have always loved a beautiful garden, it's the feeling you get, a sense of serenity and awe. It's what adds color to life

1 comments:

Janine said...

I went for a beautiful walk on your nice blog
I also like the flowers and I have a garden with
I visited your island in 1991 and I still remember the many monkeys that I saw
I wish you a happy year for 2010 with a good health, I spent 4 days with a day at Nevis
(I speak a little english because I am French from Guadeloupe not far from your island